promotorcycledragracing Forum Index promotorcycledragracing
This Forum is for All Harley Pro Drag Racing Motorcycle’s only. Accomplishments, Comments, Bench Racing and Pictures are the issue. It will be carried on for Past and Future Generations to view.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
NEWS:
VINCENTS
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    promotorcycledragracing Forum Index -> Other Bikes, Top Fuel & Exhibition   
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Smith
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:47 am    Post subject: VINCENTS Reply with quote

This is my favorite picture of the Barn Job...The rider in the leathers is Jimmy Lieneweber, on the bike is Clem Johnson and the other is Ralph Owens a long time friend of Clem...

This picture has a lot of Comedy in it, but when staged and let the clutch out, twist the throttle and standing behind the bike it shook the ground and never failed to give great MPH and ET's...

And when will you see a person on a fuel bike making a burn out in staging in street cloths...

Copyright 2007-2012. Joe Smith. All rights reserved.

Last edited by Joe Smith on Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Rouge et Noir 2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great picture Very Happy
Rouge et Noir 2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One from the uk Brian chapman on Super mouse

Rouge et Noir 2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Brians earlier 500 single version Mighty Mouse astonishing performance for such a small capacity bike. The worlds first 8 second 500 (8.96 Santa Pod 1977).Using a Comet engine with the cylinder almost horizontal, this bike exploited its light weight and low frontal area to the extreme.
Rouge et Noir 2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then we have the Legendary George Brown as well as drag racing which he first did at the USA/UK drag fests George was a record holder and perhaps the first Sprint superstar. Here he is on his vincent Nero with his son Tony at his side Both Nero and Super nero can be seen in our National Motorcycle museum in Birmingham. As an aside thats were TCs Hogslayer and Pegasus reside.

Joe Smith
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a unusual picture, this is Clem Johnson sitting on the Barn Job on the Fire Up Road facing the pits...If I remember he was to make a run and something happened on the starting line and he is headed back to the pits and stopped to watch someone make a run...This must be a Wednesday night because the stands are not full...

Joe Smith
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's Clem Johnson wiping off the rear fender of the later version (1971) of the "Barn Job" and the top photo is Jimmy Lieneweber of Lieneweber Cams making a pass on the early version (1966) of the Barn Job at Irwindale Raceway, CA in 1971

peterdragonPD81

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHOW,,,,,,,,short wheelbase,,,no frt brake,,,,DARN small rear drum brake,,,,,,,I guess you guys didn't have much fun on the tracks with a short shutdown????
Joe Smith
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterdragonPD81 wrote:
WHOW,,,,,,,,short wheelbase,,,no frt brake,,,,DARN small rear drum brake,,,,,,,I guess you guys didn't have much fun on the tracks with a short shutdown????

Back then there weren't any tracks with short shut down in California...Maybe Lions...

peterdragonPD81

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You lucky devils,many of the old midwest tracks (1960's) were built when cars did not hit 100mph. We raced at a Prescott Arkansas track that was 1000' because if you ran 1320' there wasn't enough shutdown & you couldn't run off the end of the track because you would run across a state highway.
Joe Smith
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I know, I was booked into a few of those short tracks, also one that the last few hundred feet was covered in pee gravel...I guess it was cheaper or easier to get than sand...try stopping in that stuff...

Joe Smith
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 1970, a few bikes from across the pond showed up at Indy, this is one I'm sure most remember...

I was told it had an outboard Flywheel...

Full view of bike...

kalee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Smith wrote:
[size=18][b]In 1970, a few bikes from across the pond showed up at Indy, this is one I'm sure most remember...

Great to see some different pictures of the Pegasus Vincent, which was a very popular runner over here in the UK. I told the old owners to make sure they have a look at them. This bike and Dennis Norman's double Triumph were the first of our bikes to make the trip to race on your side of the pond back in 1970.

While on the subject of Vincents Granddaddy Joe, I read somewhere that you rode the Barn Job at one point. Is this correct?
Joe Smith
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kalee,

Yes, sorry to say I was an embarrassment on the Barn Job...Clem pulled a fast one on me the first night out to Lions after some extensive changes on the "Job"...We were racing as a team (Smith & Johnson) with my Knuck and was at Lions with both bikes and after unloading and the Job was ready for a check out pass, he tells me you're the rider of this team, get your gear and lets see if we can get some good runs...

I should have said no, I never rode any kind of English style M/C that you had to shift by foot three times and the Job was short wheel base and lighter than the guy that owned it...

It was a time when only Gasoline was the juice you ran and the first pass almost sitting up on the way to the Liquid Store I broke the Track record with 125 in the mid tens...got back to the pits, checked things over and headed for the starting line...Clem said this time see what it will do...Well what it "do" was flip over my head when I shifted into second, broke my right hand and bent the Job up pretty bad...

That was my time with the Barn Job other than getting to watch some of Clem's Great Machine Work, he was a Master Machinist, even built his own Cam Grinder to make Cams for the Vincent...It sit in my Garage for a couple years while he worked on it...

kalee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to revive painful memories Joe!
Would love to have seen the Barn Job run over here. It was planned to bring it to the UK for the first 1964 International Drag Festivals, but it never happened.
It was a classic bike of its era.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    promotorcycledragracing Forum Index -> Other Bikes, Top Fuel & Exhibition All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: