NEWS:
HSBC Match Play
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Seoul Sisters Golf Forum Index / Tournament Talk /
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Woul d you like to see more Match Play events on the regular LPGA schedule?
Yes, it's an exciting, unpredictable format
25%
 25%  [ 4 ]
No, it's too flukey, save match play for team events
75%
 75%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 16

Say_You_SeRi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
poor Ashleigh Simon.... 6&5

Welcome to the bigs !

This is a trick question, right?
ddwddick

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
ddwddick wrote:
Chigger wrote:
I really like the way Seon-Hwa finished... Now THAT'S the Stone Buddha we saw last year Smile

Sarah beat Il-Mi 3 & 1, Kimmie beat Doolan 5 & 4 and Hye-Jung knocked off Inkster 4 & 3 (Shocked)... Maybe Se-Ri's success has motivated the SS... They're doing very well so far...

Well, except for Ji-Ae losing... That's an Owie for me, as I had her #4...

Go SS!

- FanBert

Who knew Hye Jung Choi would knock off vet Julie Inskter?!?!?! I didn't see that coming either...

Birdie Kim - issueing the edict: "I am here!"
Chigger

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, with day one in the bag as far as the SS are concerned, they finished 9-8 on the day (not counting SS vs. SS pairings)...

Winners:

Jee-Young, Angela, JJ, Seon-Hwa, Kimmie, Hye-Jung, Birdie, Christina and Se-Ri...

Losers:

Jimin, Na-On, Ji-Ae, KB, Shi-Hyun, In-Bee, Joo-Mi and Meena...

Stalemates:

Sarah over Il-Mi and YK over IK... Smile

Birdie and Hye-Jung picked up the big name upsets among the SS... Gotta love the way Seon-Hwa finished too...

I really was hoping Ji-Ae and In-Kyung would do better... In-Bee just had a really tough draw, and the others were pretty much toss-ups to me as I had them losing in the next round anyway (except KB)...

We started with 21 SS out of 64 (32.8%), and now we have 11 out of 32 (34.4%) remaining... Still doing pretty well!

Overall, I'm pumped about the Se-Ri/Christina pairing, and really bummed Ji-Ae and In-Kyung lost...

Go SS!!!

- MixedFeelingsBert

-- Desiderius Erasmus, 1466-1536

Last edited by Chigger on Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chigger

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
And now Karrie goes down to defeat... And Annika's in a playoff... Should be a fun tournament! Smile

- PumpedBert

AGL

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just caught the part where Morgan missed the putt that would have tied her with Birdie, and when she missed it the camera tried to cut away, but she express some big anger slamming her club, oh well.
The commentators said that again Birdie takes down Morgan.

Later,
AGL Cool

RONALD REAGAN
Say_You_SeRi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
1. Lorena - pounded the rookie
2. Karrie - GONE
3. Annika - it took extra holes
4. Kerr - GONE
5. Se Ri - prepping for another Trophy Smile
6. Pressel - just got robbed, again GONE

Quote:
but she express some big anger slamming her club

perhaps the days of petulant frenzy Morgan are NOT over...
Chigger

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
AGL wrote:
I just caught the part where Morgan missed the putt that would have tied her with Birdie, and when she missed it the camera tried to cut away, but she express some big anger slamming her club, oh well.
The commentators said that again Birdie takes down Morgan.

Later,
AGL Cool

I guess Morgan can handle losing to a Hall Of Famer, but not to someone who's # 162 on the Career Money List (Morgan is #124, BTW)... Laughing

Go Birdie!

- Flyin'HighBert

Amaebirah

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
One has to wonder if Birdie Kim (or any other Korean or Asian player) behaved like Morgan Pressel, would their actions be decried by the North American media as anything other than ill-mannered and repulsive?
ol_68

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
aokaba wrote:
One has to wonder if Birdie Kim (or any other Korean or Asian player) behaved like Morgan Pressel, would their actions be decried by the North American media as anything other than ill-mannered and repulsive?

Excellent question.

-ol'68

SeoulSisters forum member #23
Say_You_SeRi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:

ding ding ding!! No more calls, we have a winner!

But because she is cute, young, blonde, and American... she's just fiesty. Rolling Eyes
bangkokbobby

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Awwww...guys...you guys are tough on the little lady...ok, so Morgan showed some anger...ummmmm...isn't that how Grace got the nickname, "Hurricane"? Think Xtina hasn't let more than a few expletives go on course?

The way I look at it...there are two players who could potential unnerve Morgan. One is Michelle Wie, who outplayed her in their pairing at last year's Fields Open...leaving Morgan in tears. You know she wanted to outplay Wie so badly and didn't.

The other player who could get under her skin would probably be Birdie Kim...you gotta think when she saw that pairing she really wanted to stick it to Birdie...she wanted to 10 and 8 her. You put that on top of Morgan's already fiesty personality and a loss wouldn't be handled that well...

...plus she's coming off what really amounted to a match play-like loss to Se Ri as well...

...I'll cut her some slack...she wanted to beat Birdie like she would have wanted to beat Wiesy...you can't always get what you want...

...but the real news of the day...

Se Ri still cooking!! And watch out for Seon Hwa Lee...Ji Yai fell, but this is Match Play, I don't read anything into that...actually I kinda feel bad she travelled all this way to play one round...does everybody get paid in Match Play? I hope so!!

...on a Siam Sister note...Stacy Prammanasudh looking good after one!! Very Happy

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/
Verdant Garden

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mixed results but I believe the best start for the Seoul Sisters of the three Match Plays played so far.

So which match do you think resulted in the greatest upset? Mayorkas over Webb is the biggest seeding-wise but overall I say Hung's crunching of Kerr fits the bill. Birdie's conquering of Morgan is sweet irony but the most surprising upset is Hye Jung Choi easy victory over Juli Inkster. I never saw that coming.

Seoul Sisters went 0-3 in extra holes. Crying or Very sad Both Kyeong Bae and In-Bee Park gave good tussles to Stanford and Pettersen. At least the latter helped my bracket. The third match was a heart-breaker. I figured Janice Moodie would take it over Ji Yai but still to come back and forth across the Pacific twice in less than a month. Phew!

The closest I came to being angry at a result was Jee Young Lee's match. Jelly should push Karin Sjodin all over the course but eeked out a win on the last hole. Matter of fact, many Sisters benefited from their opponents' late collapses, Angela Park and Seon Hwa Lee being most notable.

Se Ri's match even got a little hairy towards the end before she could close it out.

Christina Kim's dad is back caddying for her here.

Lorena Ochoa is to Ashleigh Simon as North Carolina is to Coppin State.

All four finalists of the first two years drop in the first round.

Last edited by Verdant Garden on Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:40 am; edited 1 time in total
bangkokbobby

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Let's hope the Seoul Sisters who squeaked by gain momentum...you often see it at tennis Grand Slams...in fact, at Wimbledon, Venus Williams had some hairy moments early in the tournament but gained steam as the rounds went on...maybe Seon Hwa will do the same...until Se Ri beats her in the final!! Very Happy

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/
HappyFan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just got done watching the coverage for round one. Overall, this turned out to be a great day for the Sisters, especially Se Ri. This potentially clears up her draw all the way to the semis now that Kerr is out. She just has to put away her opponent when she gets her on the ropes next time!

Comments:

Kerr, Inkster, Pressel, Webb out, and Annika and Pettersen both had to go to extra holes to win. I'm glad that In-Bee validated my feeling that she was going to be a tough match play opponent. Too bad she went up against another toughie in Pettersen.

Se Ri had Bader beaten, but made sloppy mistakes on 16 and 17 to let her back in. But did you see that approach on 18? Stiff to three feet. Even if Bader had made that birdie on 18, Se Ri was in good position to put her down. Nice to see she rose to the occasion again when she needed to, just like last week. Go Se Ri!

I knew the Ikky-Young match was going to be a tough one. A bit surprised Young won, but then again, she was undefeated at Lexus, and she has the kind of game where she doesn't tend to make dumb mistakes.

Great comeback by Seon Hwa and Jelly, but Angela really had a hard time closing out her match. She got through, though, which is all that counts.

Hye Jung and Birdie, great upsets! Wonder what Morgan must be thinking right now...

Really, the only bad loss was Ji Yai Shin, and she still made it to extra holes. Moodie has been really poor of late and I thought Shin was going to blast her. Still, she doesn't have a lot of match play experience, so it was a good try.

Why on Earth did they keep showing the Ochoa match when they could have been showing more competitive matches like Se Ri's, Christina and Natalie, or pretty much anyone else? It was pretty clear that Lorena had that one in the bag from the start of the TV coverage.

What is Christina Kim's new show 'My World' about? An up close and personal look at her life? From the ads it looked like she would only be featured in one episode, with a different golfer each week? The shot where she was wandering around with the gun and body armor was a bit disconcerting. Be careful out there tomorrow, Se Ri! Wink

All in all, though, a great day. More than half of the Koreans made it through, and virtually every one of the top 8 advanced (only Shin fell, but Se Ri, Kimmie, Angela, Jee Young, Sarah, JJ and Young, all seven of the Sisters in the top 20 of the money list, got through). I throw Ji Yai as one of the top 8 due to her great world ranking.

Good luck tomorrow, Sisters!! Very Happy
WilliamJE

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I predicted a Birdie Kim victory.

http://sports.outsidethebeltway.com/2007/07/the-hsbc-matchplay/

*- B Kim over Pressel- 2005 US Open rematch. Over a dismal year and a half, Birdie has been playing pretty solid golf in 2007. Imagine if they come to 18 tied and Birdie is in the bunker……

On the other hand I was wrong about Shin and there won't be any pudge match between her and Laura Davies.

Watch out this round- Francella could pull an upset on Ochoa.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Seoul Sisters Golf Forum Index // Tournament Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: